History of the Anamoose
VFW Post by Helen Nolden
World War 11 Veterans, returning to the Anamoose area, formed a unit which received its official charter on April 6, 1946 as the Oswald Wohl Post 6831 on the VFW.
The Anamoose VFW was named after Oswald Wohl, who was killed at Pearl Harbor during the attack by the Japanese, December 7, 1941. He was stationed on the S.S. Helena.
After being in several locations, the club put up its own home in 1975 at a cost of $68,000. Four years later in 1979, the mortgage had been completely paid.
Many veterans have served as Commanders during the ife of the Anamoose VFW. Rollie Wilson, John Kummer, Carl Mehl, James Kaufer, Hank Ewert, Wayne Thomssen, William Engen, Herb Biss, Arlo Dockter, Kasimir Schmaltz, Reynold Buchholz, Duaine Dockter and Ed Gefroh.
The ladies Auxiliary of Foreign Wars was chartered on the 5 th of May, 1949. At one point in time they had 104 members.